[Kosova / Kosovo] European Vigils and protests [Peaceweb Home Page]
- London, Sunday, April 11.. National demosntration: Stop NATO bombing of yugoslavia. Speakers include Tony Benn MP, Bruce Kent. Hugh email@example.com
Source of this information: International Action Center, New York (founded in 1992 by former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark and many antiwar activists)
- London, Sunday, April 17, Trafalgar Square.. Assemble 1 p.m. Speaker’s Corner. March to Trafalgar Square for 3 p.m. Rally with: Rally with: Ahmed Ben Bella, first President of Algeria; Tony Benn MP; Felicity Arbuthnot, journalist; Saira Akhtar, Muslim community; Denis Halliday, former Assistant Gen. Sec. of the UN; George Galloway MP, Emergency Cttee on Iraq; Harold Pinter, Playwright; Sylvia Boyes, peace campaigner. Sponsored by The Campaign Group of Labour MPs, Labour Action for Peace, Voices in the Wilderness, and local campaigns in Brighton, Coventry, Birmingham, Sheffield, Bristol, Manchester, Cambridge, Essex, with the participation of many branches of CND including CND (Cymru), and many other organisations and individuals (list available on request). Recent addition to the list of sponsors include: The Campaign Group of Labour MPs; Labour Action for Peace.
Source of the above information: International Action Center, New York
- Winchester, Tuesday, April 20. Balkan Peace Team volunteers are speaking. Other venues and dates to be confirmed and can be suggested. Contact: Peace Brigades international: 0171 281 5370
- London, Wednesday, April 21. Committee for Peace in the Balkans London Rally: Friends House, Euston Road, 7:00 p.m. Speakers to include Dave Knight, Bruce Kent, Tariq Ali, Tony Benn, Tam Dalyell and others. Contact: 0171 820 9709
- London, Wednesday, April 21. Women in Black (women only) silent vigil against the NATO bombings and the attrocities in Kosov@ 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. St. Martins-in-the-Fields. Further vigils etc to be confirmed. Contact: 0171 482 5670
Source of the above information: Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, UK
- Strasbourg, Sunday, April 4th: "Le marche pour la paix". About 3,000 persons participated in a European march in Strasbourg for a Europe of disarmament, peace and solidarity. This march, planned long in advance by German pacificists of Baden-Wurtenberg and French peace activists from Alsace, was transformed into an expression of opposition to the war going on in Yugoslavia. The slogans, "Stop the bombing, stop the ethnic cleansing, start negotiations" were at the centre of the demands and of the speech by Daniel Durand, Secretary of the French "Mouvement de la paix" in front of the headquarters building of the Council of Europe. Several delegations from Austria, Belgium, Greece, the UK, and Switzerland were present. Messages of solidarity came from Nobel literature laureate Jose Sarramago, and the playwright Edward Bond. The Bishop of Parthenia, Monseignor Jacques Gaillot and the Member of European Parliament Francis Wurtz took part in the demonstration. An appeal to stop the bombing, respect a cease-fire, and a movement toward new political negotiations was launched. The demonstration ended in Place Broglie, where a mini-concert for peace was held. (Translation by Carl Stieren from the Mouvement de la paix website, www.asi.fr/~ddurand)
Netherlands, April, 1999
- Amsterdam, April 10, 12:00 noon on Dam Square. An initiative of various political, peace and solidarity organizations, a manifestation and demonstration will be organized with slogans: * Stop NATO against Yugoslavia * Stop Dutch participation * Stop all violence * For a peacefull solution * For a safe return of all refugees.
Germany, April, 1999
Source of following information: Netzwerk Friedenskooperative: Network of the German Peace Movement Web site: www.friedenskooperative.de/termine.htm
Actions on specific days:
- April 17, Chemnitz: Teach-in against the War, 10:00 a.m. Karl-Marx-Monument Contact: Friedensinitiative Chemnitz c/o Umweltzentrum, Henriettenstr. 5, 09112 Chemnitz, Tel.: 0371/302983
- April 17, Darmstadt: Demonstration and Teach-in "End the War in Kosovo!", 11:00 a.m., Luisenplatz, Organizers: Friedenspolitischer Kosovo-Ratschlag (Contact auch: Asta TUD 06151/168805) Contact: Darmstädter Friedensforum, Regina Hagen, Teichhausstr. 46, 64287 Darmstadt, Tel.: 06151/47114, Fax: 06151/47105 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 17, Freiburg: Demonstration against the War, Innenstadt E-Mail: email@example.com
- April 17, Geretsried: "Round Table" of the Anti-War Movement, 3:30 p.m., Ratsstuben Contact: FI Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen, Andreas Wagner, Martin-Luther-Weg 4, 82538 Geretsried, Tel.: 08171/965605, Fax: 08171/965605
- April 17, Kaiserlautern: Local working group on peace and inernational affairs for an open-ended peace proposal for Kosovo, 11:00 a.m., Neue Eintracht, Adolph-Kolping-Platz 11, Infos: Kalle Kreß firstname.lastname@example.org Contact: B90/Die Grünen, Landesverband Rhld.-Pfalz, Waldpodenstr. 5, 55116 Mainz, Tel.: 06131/231846/-48, Fax: 06131/231849 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://www.gruene-rlp.de
- April 17, Karlsruhe: Cultural Festival against the War, 12:00 p.m., Innenstadt E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 17, Marburg: Demonstration against the War, Starts at 11:00 a.m., Elisabethkirche, 12:00 p.m. Teach-in, Augustinertreppe Contact: Marburger Initiative "No to the war" c/o HU-OV MR Franz-Josef Hanke, Furthstr. 6, 35037 Marburg, Tel.: 06421/66616, Fax: 06421/66617 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://www.info-line.scm.de/frieden.htm
- April 17, Münster: Teach-in against the war in Yugoslavia," 12:00 noon in front of the Hall of Peace, Prinzipalmarkt, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: http://www.muenster.org/frieden
- April 17, Trier: Teach-in "End the NATO war and save lives", 11:00 a.m., Pranger, Grabenstraße Contact: FriedenszentrumAGF e.V., Palaststr. 3, 54290 Trier, Tel.: 0651/9941016, Fax: 0651/9941018 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://home.t-online.de/home/agf_trier
- April 17, Warendorf: Vigil "End the war in Yugoslavia, strengthen human rights and the constitution," 11:00 a.m., Marktplatz Contact: Friedens-Gruppe Warendorf, Hans-Joachim Werner, Am Stadtgraben 6, 48231 Warendorf, Tel.: 02581/3539 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: http://home.t-online.de/home/h.-j.werner/friedef2.htm
- April 17 - April 18, Wiesbaden: Seminar "Anti-militarism on the Radio"-Theory und Practice of pacifist radio production. Local free radio stations offer political groups the opportunity for self-production and offer the chance for a continuing reporting of fact and opinion that is not available in public or commercial radio. The seminar explores the basics and general goals. Then comes the practical work of producing an actual program. Please register beforehand. Contact: DFG-VK LV Hessen, Vogelsbergstr. 17, 60316 Frankfurt, Tel.: 069/431440, Fax: 069/4990007 E-Mail: email@example.com
- April 18, Berlin: TAZ in conversation in a live broadcast: Debate on the situation in Kosovo, Moderator: Andreas Zumach (taz, Geneva) 6:00 p.m., Kunsthaus Tacheles, Oranienburger Str. 54-56a (S-U-Bf. Oranienburger Tor), in the radio program, "20 Years of TAZ" Contact: taz, Kochstr. 18, 10969 Berlin, Tel.: 030/25902-212, Fax: 030/2515028 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: http://www.taz.de
- April 18, Brüggen: Blocade of the gate of the British NATO Airport at Brüggen, Meet at 12:30 p.m. Contact: Patchwork Silke Kreusel, Kaiserstr. 24, 26122 Oldenburg, Tel.: 0441/17111, Fax: 0441/2489661 E-Mail: Patchwork@oln.comlink.apc.org Internet: http://www.comlink.apc.org/patchwork/
- April 18, Stuttgart: Group Discussion "Kosovo: Peace with all Military Force?" with Birgitt Bender (Member of the Landtag, B90/Die Grünen BaWü), Reinhard Bütikofer (B90/Die Grünen), Dr. Marie-Janine Calic (SPW Ebenhausen), Winne Hermann (MdB B90/Die Grünen), Matthias Dembinski (HSFK), Monika Schnaitmann (B90/Die Grünen BaWü), Ulrich Wohland (Werkstatt für gewaltfreie Aktion Baden), Andreas Zumach (taz, ARD), 10:00 a.m. - 4:30:00 p.m., Café Merlin, Augustenstr. 72, (Program as of April 8 - program subject to change) Contact: Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung Baden - Württemberg, Rieckestr. 26, 70190 Stuttgart, Tel.: 0711/282033, Fax: 0711/2624899 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://www.boell.de
- April 18, Trier: Teach-in "Stop the NATO war to save lives" in Spangdahlem (Ortsmitte, 15:00 p.m.) including a demonstration at the military airport and ending with a teach-in in front of the main gate, Speakers: Thomas Kupcik (AGF Trier ), Gerhard Zwerenz (writer, deserter from the Wehrmacht, Frankfurt), Andreas Marx (PDS Trier), Tobias Pflüger (IMI), Detlef Peikert (MilitarismusgegnerInnen (MIG) Aachen), Roland Röder (Aktion 3. Welt Saar); Departs from Trier 2:00 p.m., Simeonstiftsplatz, Return tickets: 8 DM, can be purchased from AGF, Sponsors: Action alliance against the NATO war in Yugoslavia, Trier Contact: FriedenzentrumAGF e.V., Palaststr. 3, 54290 Trier, Tel.: 0651/9941016, Fax: 0651/9941018 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Internet: http://home.t-online.de/home/agf_trier
- April 19, Marburg: Ecumenical Prayer for Peace in the Philipps-Haus (an der Universitätsstrasse), Organizer: Lutheran Church Circle Marburg-Stadt in conjuction with the Marburger Forum, the German Trade Union Central and the Christian Peace Initiative Contact: The Marburg Initiative "No to the War" c/o HU Ortsverband Marburg, Franz-Josef Hanke, Furthstr. 6, 35037 Marburg, Tel.: 06421/66616, Fax: 06421/66617 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://www.info-line.scm.de/frieden.htm
- April 19, Munich: Vigil ("Little Teach-in") against the War, 17-19, Marienplatz Contact: Friedensbüro Münchener Friedensbündnis, Isabellastr. 6, 80798 München, Tel.: 089/2715917, Fax: 089/2715917 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuing actions in April:
- Berlin, Breitscheidplatz, Gedachtniskirche. A vigil is being held daily at 6:00 p.m. against the NATO air war on Yugoslavia, in the square in front of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (the bombed-out church left as a memorial to the Second World War).
- Bonn, Munsterplatz at the corner of Martinsplatz. A vigil is being held Monday to Friday at 6:00 p.m. Contact: Bonner Friedensbüro, Budapester Str. 21, 53111 Bonn, Tel.: 0228/692255, Fax: 0228/692906
- Chemnitz, Zentral Haltestelle Vigil against the war is being held daily at noon. Contact: Friedensinitiative Chemnitz c/o Umweltzentrum, Henriettenstr. 5, 09112 Chemnitz, Tel.: 0371/302983
- Cologne, Domplatte Römerbogen Vigil against the war is being held daily from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Contact: Kölner Friedensforum, Ariane Dettloff, Trojanstr. 18, 50678 Köln, Tel.: 0221/315783 or contact Jan Kim, E-Mail: email@example.com
- Düsseldorf, Schadowplatz Vigil against the war is being held daily from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
- Duisburg, König-Heinrich-Platz in front of the Amtgericht Vigil against the war is being held daily from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Contact: Duisburger Friedensforum, Marc Mulia, Königstr. 53, 47051 Oberhausen, Tel.: 0203/339088 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erfurt, Fischmarkt Vigil against the war is being held daily at 5:00 p.m. Contact: Aktionskreis für Frieden Erfurt e.V., Juri-Gagarin Ring 150, 99084 Erfurt, Tel.: 0361/6553315 f., Fax: 0361/6553316
- Frankfurt, Hauptwache (Goliathfigur) Vigil against the war is being held daily at 5:00 p.m. Contact: DFG-VK, Gruppe Ffm, Vogelsbergstr. 17, 60316 Frankfurt, Tel.: 069/4980394, Fax: 069/4990007 E-Mail: email@example.com
- Freiburg Anti-war demonstration is being held every Monday at 5:00 p.m.
- Greifswald, auf dem Marktplatz Vigil and leafleting against the war is being held daily at 11:30 a.m. by the PDS (former Communists). Contact: PDS Greifswald, Tel.: 03834/594628
- Halle, Marktplatz Vigil against NATO's war in Yugoslavia is being held daily at 6:00 p.m. Contact: Friedenskreis Halle e.V., Große Klausstr. 11, 06108 Halle, Tel.: 0345/2026700, Fax: 0345/2026700, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://www.friedensdienst.de/fk
- Heidelberg, Anatomieplatz A teach-in against the war is being held daily at 6:00 p.m. VA: Gewaltfreie Aktion Heidelberg, Antifa Jugendaktion; Contact: Gewalftfreie Aktion Heidelberg E-Mail: email@example.com
- Karlsruhe, Marketplace Vigil against the war is being held daily at 5:00 p.m.
- Kassel, Opernplatz Protest demonstration against the war, "Stop the War!", is being held daily from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Contact: Kasseler Friedensforum c/o DGB-Kreis Kassel, Spohrstr. 6, 34117 Kassel, Tel.: 0561/72095-0, Fax: 0561/7209533, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Langen, Stadtkirche Langen, Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz Prayer for peace, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 7:00 p.m. Contact: Evangelische Stadtkirchengemiende, Tel.: 06103/21147
- Mannheim, Paradeplatz Vigil against the war is being held Thursdays from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Contact: MAFAFriedensbüro, Rheinhäuser Str. 61, 68165 Mannheim, Tel.: 0621/406006, Fax: 0621/853272 E-Mail: Mathias.Kohler@t-online.de
- Münster, Rathaus, Prinzipalmarkt Daily vigil against the war in Kosovo, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Internet: http://www.muenster.org/frieden Tel.: 06103/21147
- Nürnberg , Lorenzkirche Daily vigil at 5:30 p.m. Contact: Nürnberger Friedensforum Hans-J. Patzelt, Wittelsbacherstr. 4a, 90475 Nürnberg, Tel.: 0911/834543 E-Mail: email@example.com Internet: http://www.fen.baynet.de/frieden/regio.html21147
- Trier Vigil against the war, Wednesdays, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. at Pranger (Ecke Brotstr./Palaststr.); Saturdays, Teach-in against the war, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at Pranger Contact: Friedenzentrum AGF e.V., Palaststr. 3, 54290 Trier, Tel.: 0651/9941016, Fax: 0651/9941018 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are visitor number to Peaceweb since November 20, 1997.
Revised April 13, 1999, by C.S.