Green Pastures Quarterly Meeting
Quaker (Religious Society of Friends)
- Presiding Clerk: Raelyn Joyce, 1920 Hillsdale, Kalamazoo, MI 49006 269 345-0489, raejoyce10 at gmail.com
- Recording Clerk: Tom Blackwell, 734 668-1008, tblackw at umich.edu
- Treasurer: Linda Mills, 4404 Carver Dr., Kalamazoo, MI 49009 269 375-4414, millrae at juno.com
Currently, GPQM conducts business the third Saturday in May and the third Saturday in September at the Michigan Friends Center in Chelsea, Mich. These start at 9:00 AM.
A Mid-Winter Gathering for fellowship and renewal is held starting at 9:00 AM, usually in February. A gathering for worship and pot-luck around the time of Hiroshima Day (the first Sunday of August) is held at Quaker Park in Battle Creek starting at 11:00 AM. Joe Mills of Kalamazoo Meeting (269-375-4414 or millrae at juno.com) is the person to contact for further information about this event.
According to the Articles of Association, GPQM's purpose is to:
- promote and support the activities of its members in worship, witness and social service, according to the beliefs of Friends;
- found , foster and support local meetings of Friends;
- harmonize, publish and propagate the beliefs and aspirations of Friends with respect to worship, witness, and social service.
- It continues to help support the American Friends Service Committee Ann Arbor office.
- It owns and is responsible for the administration of the Friends School in Detroit
- It acts in conjunction with the Friends Lake Cooperative Community to administer the Michigan Friends Center under its Articles of Incorporation.
Abstract of the History of Green Pastures Quarterly Meeting
- Formed in 1957, consisting of Ann Arbor, Detroit and Kalamazoo Meetings, the East Lansing Preparative Meeting and the Toledo Friends Group
- Attendance in the late fifties and early sixties about 200.
- 1960 affiliated with FGC and accepted the 1955 PYM Faith and Practice.
- 1964 incorporated officially. Grand Rapids Preparative Meeting included.
- 1968 Birmingham Meeting became a constituent meeting.
- 1970 Pine River Meeting; 1971 Grand Rapids Meeting; 1973 Red Cedar Meeting formed. Holland Preparative Meeting formed ??? date.
- In 2006, worship groups function in Albion, Fremont, Manitou, Grand Traverse and Tustin.
- 1959 AFSC first active in Michigan; 1961 Friends Lake Cooperative Community established; 1963 Friends School in Detroit incorporated.