Relative Danger of Energy Sources
2. How many have already died from nuclear power accidents
< 100 100 –
– 10,000 10,000 -
100,000 > 100,000
- 31 workers died from acute radiation syndrome, injury, or heart
attack. 19 more workers have died since; at least some of the deaths
are definitely unrelated to Chernobyl.
- 4,000 thyroid cancers, leading to 15 deaths as of 2002 in
Belarus, Russia, and the Ukraine (childhood thyroid cancers are now
decreasing). Since childhood thyroid cancer deaths are rare, most or
all of these are attributed to Chernobyl.
- No birth defects were observed at Hiroshima/Nagasaki for much
exposures to radioactivity, and none are expected from Chernobyl.
- 2 deaths, radiation poisoning
Return to questionnaire.
Return to Friends Energy