Berkeley Monthly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends
2151 Vine St., Berkeley CA 94709
(510) 843-9725 | email: BerkeleyMeeting@gmail.com
Meeting for Worship: Sundays, 9am, 11am
Nursery, First Day School, Teens: Sundays, 11am
Meeting for Worship for Business:
2nd Sundays, 1pm
Picture by Marylou Goertzen
PREQUALIFY TO BID ON PROJECT
Document format: Word / PDF
The Berkeley Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, Quakers, (Owner), is preparing to undertake a renovation of their existing facility located at 2151 and 2153 Vine Street, Berkeley California, and is prequalifying contractors to bid to perform construction work on the Owner’s project as described herein (“Project”).
construction work includes the renovation of two buildings and
replacement of one building that compose the meeting house at
2151 and 2153 Vine Street, Berkeley, California. The
construction estimate for this work is approximately one million
dollars ($1,000,000). Owner seeks to include social
responsibility in hiring and environmental stewardship in the
this end we are soliciting interest from qualified general
contractors for the performance of the work. A prequalification
process has been established by the Owner to aid in the process
of contractor selection.
Potential Contractors are encouraged to review proposed schematic plans shown on Owner's website: www.quaker.org/berkmm/.
The Pre-Qualification application period will extend to January 22, 2013, after which date the Owner will receive and review applications in order to determine those contractors established as pre-qualified for this project.
Interested parties should call the Construction Manager:
Cell: 510 717 3452
Interested parties will then be sent a Pre-Qualification package for their use.
format: Word / PDF
is hereby given that the Berkeley Monthly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) (“Owner”) has determined
that all bidders for Owner’s project as described herein
(“Project”) must be prequalified prior to submitting a bid on
2. Owner is prequalifying contractors to bid to perform construction work on the Project.
3. The work project consists of renovation to two existing (one and two story Type V buildings), and replacement of one existing single story Type V building for the Berkeley Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, located at 2151 and 2153 Vine Street, Berkeley CA. The estimate of construction cost is one million dollars ($1,000,000). Specifically the work includes all fees, materials and labor to complete the work as shown on drawings and specifications prepared by JSW/D Architects and dated January 1, 2013, but is not limited to:
a. Renovation of the existing Friends Meeting Building (approximately 1,700 SF); including ADA improvements to existing bathroom, relocation of bathroom, and construction of new bathroom, new meeting hall lighting, miscellaneous repair of interior and exterior finishes, and replacement of exterior entry double doors.
Includes provision of new electrical panel board, new electrical service drop, and provision of fire water riser location with connection to street. Includes installation of fire sprinkler system (deferred approval) throughout.
Includes removal of existing roofing and installation of new shingle roofing.
Includes removal of existing fireplace and chimney.
Includes items of exterior paving, new concrete stairs, railing and new fence and arbor construction, and connection of fire water to centerline of street.
Includes improvements to existing nursery and playground, including new cabinets, furnace, outside fencing, and trellis.
Includes new windows as an alternate.
b. Removal of the existing Social Hall and attached covered walkway; construction of an all new single story Type V-B Fully Sprinkled Social Hall (approximately 970SF) complete. New social hall to be attached to existing Meeting Hall and existing Quaker House. Includes mechanical, plumbing and electrical system complete, and installation of fire sprinkler system (deferred approval) throughout.
c. Renovation to existing two-story residential building (Quaker House); includes removal of existing foundations and excavation to construct new slab on grade and footings to lower existing building approximately 35 inches.
Includes construction of new residential scale kitchen with commercial exhaust hood and fire suppression system (deferred approval).
Includes new ADA compliant bathrooms, interior walls and revision to interior finishes and materials.
Includes repair of exterior finishes, replacement of existing windows, replace shingle roofing and relocation of existing electrical panel and gas meter locations and electrical service upgrade.
Includes elements of site work consisting of new concrete stairs, new paved entry area stairs and wood pergola, site fencing, and minor retaining walls.
Potential bidders are encouraged to review proposed schematic plans shown on Owner's website: www.quaker.org/berkmm/.
4. Socially Responsible Employment
Contractor shall hire and employ on the Project for a minimum of .75 full time employment, at least one employee who is a graduate of and recommended by one of the following programs: [identify programs]
shall only terminate any employee hired to meet this requirement
for just cause.
this employee is terminated, resigns, or for any other reason
ceases to work on the Project as an employee of the
Contractor at any time before the completion of the
Project, Contractor shall hire and employ on the Project
for a minimum of .75 full time employment, a
second employee meeting the same criteria. If the
second employee is terminated, resigns, or for any other reason
ceases to work on the Project as an employee of the Contractor
at any time before the completion of the Project, Contractor
shall hire and employ on the Project for a minimum of .75 full
time employment, a third employee meeting the same
When the Contractor has employed three persons meeting the foregoing criteria, or upon completion of the Project, at least one of these employees is still employed on the Project, whichever occurs first, the Contractor shall have complied in full with this requirement whether or not any of those employees work on the Project until its completion.
5. Any contractor interested in bidding on the Project must submit fully completed and sealed Owner prequalification forms and questionnaires (“Prequalification Package”) to the Owner. Sealed Prequalification Packages will be received until 2 p.m. on January 22, 2013, at JSW/D Architects, 3106 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705, Attention: Andrew Youngmeister, labeled “Meeting House Construction Project” at or after which time the Prequalification Packages will be opened and names of contractors publicly read aloud. All Prequalification Packages shall be on the forms provided by the Owner.
6. Prequalification Packages are available from Andrew Youngmeister, (510) 717-3452.
7. To prequalify for the Project, a contractor is required, in addition to other criteria, to possess the following State of California Contractor License: B. The contractor’s license(s) must remain active and in good standing throughout the term of the Project.
8. If a contractor prequalifies to bid on the Project and is ultimately awarded a contract for the Project, the following provisions shall apply:
9. The contractor shall be required to furnish a 100% Performance Bond and a 100% Payment Bond.
a. All information provided will be kept confidential. The contents may be disclosed to third parties for purposes of verification, or investigation of substantial allegations, or in the appeal process.
10. A contractor may be denied prequalification status for either omission of requested information or falsification of information.
Latest update June 7, 2014