Berkeley Monthly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends
2151 Vine St., Berkeley CA 94709
(510) 843-9725 | email: BerkeleyMeeting@gmail.com
Meeting for Worship: Sundays, 9am, 11am
Nursery, First Day School, Teens: Sundays, 11am
Meeting for Worship for Business: 2nd
Picture by Marylou Goertzen
Home | About Us | Calendar | Committees | Procedure Handbook | History of Berkeley Meeting | Links
Environment Committee (COTE)
The Committee on the Environment facilitates and supports the Meeting's collective and individual concerns about the effect our human activities have on Earth's ecological balance, resources, and the well-being of life on our planet.
The Committee studies the work and literature that has been developed in the fields of ecology, energy use, social change, global change due to human activities, and preservation of biodiversity. It plans and coordinates events to help the Meeting understand these processes. The Committee serves as a liaison between Meeting and other organizations working for the well-being of our planet. The Committee works with the Meeting to explore the relationship between Quaker testimonies and environmental concerns, and to examine individual and corporate behavior in its relation to care for the environment.
When courses of action seem desirable or necessary to be taken by Meeting as a whole, the Committee brings proposals to business meeting after due seasoning. (From the Meeting's Procedure Handbook)
- Talk on Sustainability Policy in California by Elisa Barbour and David Jaber
- Discussion and filling out of updated questionnaires on greenhouse gas emissions
- Questionnaire on energy use by Meeting members, with analysis by Karen Street
- Display table of questionnaires to the community at the Green Expo 2004
- Talks given by Professor John Harte of UC Berkeley and Stuart Cohen of the Transport and Land Use Coalition
- Presentations and discussion on climate change by Karen Street, 2007
- Distribution of compact fluorescent light bulbs, fall 2007
What have we done? What more can we do? Discussion of committee and Meeting activities on environmental issues
Support for walk by Louis Cox and Ruah Swennerfeldt this spring
Preparation of summary report to be sent to Pacific Yearly Meeting
The Environment Committee meets every fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:30 PM at the Meeting House at Walnut and Vine to plan actions and events. Everyone is welcome to come!
To contact the Environment Committee, please email us and put ATT: environment committee in the header or beginning of the email message.
Latest update March 15, 2012