Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends
Picture by Marylou Goertzen
The Berkeley Monthly Meeting
of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
2151 Vine Street
Berkeley, CA 94709
MEETING FOR WORSHIP
We gather in silence to wait upon God. The Meeting for Worship is unprogrammed
and without prearrangement. Those who minister by a spoken message do not come
prepared to speak. As we listen, and as we break the silence, we seek to be
guided by the Inner Light. Vocal ministry, responsive to the spiritual needs of
the Meeting, deepens, rather than interrupts, the silent worship. Messages are
brief and each one is followed by a period of silence. In Worship, we are
refreshed in the life of the Spirit and, in that Spirit, we strengthen one
another. In speech or in silence, each person contributes to the Meeting.
More About Us
- Unprogrammed Meeting for Worship is held promptly at 9:00am and 11:00 a.m. on Sundays. The
nursery and First Day School for children are available at that time. A second
Meeting for Worship is held at 9:00 a.m. We are an inclusive community, and
welcome everyone who wishes to join us.
- Monthly Meeting for Business is held at 1:00 p.m. on the second Sunday of each
month (except August). All attenders are invited to come to Meeting for
Business. A simple lunch is served at 12:30 p.m.
- The Meeting Room, library, and nursery are located in the Meeting House at 2151
Vine Street. It has assisted hearing devices and is wheelchair accessible. The
Education Building and Quaker House are next door on Vine Street.
- The Young Adult Friends group brings together Quakers from the local area, age
eighteen and over. Many events are planned, including a monthly potluck in
Berkeley on the third Sunday of each month. For more information contact Darcy
Stanley at 510-237-8382.
- A two-hour Introduction to Quakerism for Newcomers is held throughout the year.
Look for announcements, or call 843-9725 if you wish to be notified of an
- Our Adult Education Committee provides a variety of programs of interest several
times a year, including topics such as Quaker history, practice, spirituality,
parenting, economics, and lecture forums with diverse themes.
- The names of Meeting officers, representatives, and committee clerks can be
found in the Meeting Directory, along with the names of members and attenders.
You can get a copy in the library. Mailboxes for committee clerks are in the
- The Meeting publishes a monthly newsletter. Attenders can receive the
newsletter and be listed in the Meeting Directory by filling out a card
available in the Education Building following Meeting for Worship on Sundays.
Our Library maintains a large and growing collection of books, pamphlets,
periodicals, tapes, and reference works. There is also a selection of Quaker
publications for sale. The Library Committee is eager to assist patrons
following Meeting for Worship and Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9 p.m. Search our library collection.
Latest update June 9, 2011